GOA: Guinea twice came from behind to hold Costa Rica 2-2 in their Group C clash of the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017 at Goa on Tuesday.

Costa Rica took the lead through Yecxy Jarquin (26′) only for Fandje Toure (30′) to equalize for Guinea before Andres Gomez (67′) restored Costa Rica’s lead, however Ibrahima Souma’s (81′) late goal helped Guinea to earn their first points of the campaign.

The game began with both sides engaging in some end-to-end action during the opening quarter. Having gone close on a few occasions early on, Costa Rica took the lead in the 26th minute when Jarquin slotted past the Guinea keeper Mohamed Camara.

Having conceded, Guinea began attacking with intensity through Aguibou Camara and Toure. The pressure paid off as the West Africans restored the parity four minutes later though Toure, who netted his second goal of the campaign from close range.

Thereafter, both sides had a few chances in the later stage of the half but couldn’t convert as the scoreline remained one-goal-a-piece going into the breather.

Costa Rica came out strong in the second half and began attacking from the word go. However, the Guinea defense managed to hold on and clear all the attacks in the opening quarter.

Nonetheless, Costa Rica’s constant pressure finally paid off as they regained their the lead midway through the second half. Sebastian Castro and Gomez combined before the later beat Camara with an easy tap-in.

The North Americans almost got their third goal in the 76th minute. A powerful clearance from defender Karin Arce found Alexander Roman near the half line whose touch sent Jarquin clear in the rival half. The striker chased down the ball only for his powerful drive to go inches over the horizontal.

Afterwards, both sides engaged in some end-to-end stuff. While Costa Rica had the better chances to go further up,  Guinea capitalized on a defensive error as Souma scored to level matters nine minutes from the time.

The North Americans battled hard in the final minutes looking for a winner, but Guinea managed to hold on defending deep as the game ended 2-2.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *